The Community Expecting study is a translational research study designed to adapt a clinical exercise program for expecting women into community settings. In other words, this study is for moms who are not currently active but are interested in beginning to exercise during pregnancy.
We are seeking women who are:
- currently less than 15-weeks pregnant,
- have a BMI over 30
- Not using illicit drugs
- Not regularly exercising
If you decide to participate in this study, you will:
- Exercise 3 days per week throughout pregnancy
- 2 days at a community gym in West Little Rock
- 1 day at home via Community Expecting Online
- Submit 3 health assessment forms from you OB/GYN
- Wear a FitBit and log your step counts weekly
You will receive monetary compensation for attending exercise sessions and for submitting the health assessment forms. You will receive non-monetary incentives that include the FitBit, exercise bands to use at home, a gym membership, and access to a certified personal trainer, mentor mom and exercise support group. You will be able to invite a workout buddy* and receive continued post-partum support to help you return to exercising.
All research studies require potential participants to be screened. This is simple and conducted over the phone in about 5-10 minutes to learn more about your health and any other pertinent information that relates to the study.
If you are interested or would like to find out if you are eligible, you can:
- Call us at (501)-364-3309 or (866)-423-1311 or
- Send us an email us at ACNCstudies@archildrens.org with your name and a good phone number to reach you.
Thank you for your interest in our COMMUNITY EXPECTING Study.
COMMUNITY EXPECTING is a research study conducted by Taren Swindle, Ph.D., which has been approved by the Institutional Review Board of the University of Arkansas for the Medical Sciences.
*The workout buddy will have to sign a release form prior to exercising with you.